FCC Filtro Noticias
Search filter

FCC Medio Ambiente renews its commitment to Madrid city services


FCC Medio Ambiente renews its commitment to Madrid city services

  • Madrid City Council awards the company contracts for Street Cleansing and Parks and Ground Maintenance worth more than €650 million
FCC Medio Ambiente renews its commitment to Madrid city services

Madrid City Council has awarded FCC Medio Ambiente the service contracts of two lots for street cleansing and another two for the comprehensive maintenance of park and ground areas, which will serve more than one and a half million inhabitants. These services, together with the recent award of the maintenance of urban furniture service for lots 1 and 2, which cover the seven districts of the city's central area, represent a total portfolio of €652 million.

One of the highlights of the new services is that a large majority of the street cleansing vehicles and all of the park and ground maintenance vehicles will be ECO or electric Zero-Emission labelled vehicles, demonstrating Madrid City Council's commitment to a more sustainable and environmentally friendly city.

A significant investment will be made in the construction of depots and auxiliary and other facilities for the operation of both services. Regarding street cleansing service, Madrid City Council is lending 5 plots of land totalling 15,500 m2, where FCC Medio Ambiente will build 3 depots, 2 auxiliary facilities and 2 CNG refuelling stations. On the other hand, the park and ground maintenance service will build 6 auxiliary facilities and 7 booths, more than 11,000 m2. These facilities will be sustainable and innovative and will include the use of renewable energies to achieve an almost zero-energy consumption.

With respect to the street cleansing service, which FCC Medio Ambiente has been delivering to Madrid city since 1977, the awarded order book value amounts to €503 million for a six-year period and will serve 1,180,000 inhabitants. Lot 6 has been awarded to the company and includes the districts of Carabanchel, Usera and Villaverde. Lot 4, which includes the districts of Ciudad Lineal, Hortaleza, San Blas-Canillejas and Barajas, will be managed by Alfonso Benítez, S.A., a subsidiary of FCC Medio Ambiente, leading a joint venture with Acciona Servicios Urbanos.

The park and ground maintenance services, which FCC Medio Ambiente has been providing in the city of Madrid since 1994, represent a portfolio of €147 million for the company for a four-year term, with a possible one-year extension, and will serve nearly 1,080,000 inhabitants. FCC Medio Ambiente will manage lot 6, as in street cleansing, while lot 5, which includes the districts of Moratalaz, Vicálvaro, Puente de Vallecas and Villa de Vallecas, has been awarded to Alfonso Benítez S.A.

The street cleansing services, which cover 2,300 km of streets, will be provided by a workforce of close to 2,000 people and will be highly mechanised, with a newly acquired fleet of more than 350 vehicles, 70% of which will be ECO or Zero-emission labelled vehicles. All sweeping trolleys will be electric, developed exclusively by FCC Medio Ambiente, which, together with the different types of sensors in the equipment (bag weighing, temperature and noise) and the geolocation and communication devices, will allow to optimise work effort and routes and turn the field worker into a key incident detector. For managing such incidents, technical innovations to be highlighted include the use of Process Mining, active listening on social media, and a pilot project for visual recognition using artificial intelligence.

The awarded contracts for the comprehensive management of grounds cover an area of nearly 1,500 hectares and 166,000 tree units and will deploy a staff of almost 900 people, a newly acquired fleet of 1,100 state-of-the-art electric machines and 220 vehicles, out of which 60% show the ECO environmental label and remaining 40% are electric Zero-Emission label. Technical innovations include the implementation of drones to analyse vegetation and tomographs and resistographs to study trees. In terms of ICTs, vehicles will be equipped with geolocators and information gateways to the Madrid City Council's MINT system will be activated.

The digital platform VISION, developed by FCC Medio Ambiente, will be used for the comprehensive management of both services, which allows the control, monitoring and optimisation of the work and makes it possible to interact in real-time with the requests of the city residents.

It is planned to substantially increase the recruitment of disabled people and other groups in vulnerable positions, as well as the promotion of the neighbourhood street sweeper and gardener characters.